North Fulton Moms Color The White House Mocha
Several members of the North Fulton Chapter of Mocha Moms Inc., had a unique opportunity to color the White House mocha on Feb. 16-17.
These moms along with hundreds of members of Mocha Moms Inc. - which is a non-profit that serves the community and provides support for mothers of color - converged on Washington, DC with their families to receive a full briefing from officials representing a wide range of departments and agencies, including EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson.
Three hundred and fifty Mocha Moms and their families toured the White House – and approximately one hundred and fifty Mocha Moms gathered for a briefing in the South Court Auditorium in the Eisenhower Executive Building and listened, talked, laughed, and even cried during the three hour event.
They heard from high-ranking officials in the Administration including:
- Dr. Nadine Gracia, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health,
- Jocelyn Frye, Director of Policy and Special Projects for the First Lady,
- Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff to the First Lady, Cecilia Munoz, Director of the Domestic Policy Council,
- Stephanie Owens, Deputy Associate Administrator of the EPA,
- Tyra Mariani, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Department of Education,
- Jon Carson, Director of the Office of Public Engagement,
- Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the EPA, and
- Michael Strautmanis, Deputy Assistant to the President.
Attendees were also engaged in a panel discussion and dialogue on topics ranging from motherhood and work-life balance to health and education. The opportunity was a historic milestone for the grassroots organization, which was founded in 1997 by four mothers in Maryland, and continues to support the changing needs of mothers of color in the workplace and at home.
Speaking of mothers of color, The North Fulton Chapter of Mocha Moms Inc., is geared up for another year of support and providing service. Organized to provide a support base for mothers of color, members find time to make community service a priority in the effort to better the communities in which they live and thrive.
Under the leadership of 2012 Board Members, namely Emma Dashiell-Charles, Co President; Barbara Peters, Co-President; Nekeidra Frederick, Vice President; Gina Fraiser, Secretary; and Michelle Carr, Treasurer, The North Fulton Chapter of Mocha Moms, Inc., works tirelessly to improve the quality of life for Georgia residents via special community service projects.