Roswell Schools Recognized for High Performance
For a sixth year, more than a third of all Fulton County schools have been recognized for high performance or improvement, including several Roswell schools.
Mountain Park Elementary School, Sweet Apple Elementary School, Crabapple Middle School, Fulton Sunshine Academy and Elkins Pointe Middle School were all named in this year's Single Statewide Accountability System (SSAS) recognition program.
The SSAS recognition program awarded 38 Fulton County schools – an increase from the previous year’s 34 schools – in two categories, Greatest Gains and Highest Performance. The annual list, which this year included 370 schools across Georgia, highlights those that are making great strides in educating students.
“It’s outstanding that the number of Fulton schools receiving state recognition continues to grow,” said Superintendent Robert Avossa. “From 31 in 2009, to 34 in 2010, to 38 in 2011 – these increases show that our schools are meeting their goals when it comes to teaching and preparing students for the future. I couldn’t be more proud of our students and teachers.”
The SSAS award structure combines criteria for making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), a cornerstone of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (often know as No Child Left Behind), with performance data on state curriculum exams.
The Fulton County schools included in this year's recognition program were as follows:
Highest Performance Category:
- Crabapple Crossing Elementary School
- Mountain Park Elementary School
- Shakerag Elementary School
- State Bridge Crossing Elementary School
- Summit Hill Elementary School
- Wilson Creek Elementary School
- Fulton Science Academy
- Northview High School
- Birmingham Falls Elementary School
- Dolvin Elementary School
- Findley Oaks Elementary School
- Autrey Mill Middle School
- Northwestern Middle School
- River Trail Middle School
- Johns Creek High School
- Milton High School
- Barnwell Elementary School
- Creek View Elementary School
- Heards Ferry Elementary School
- Lake Windward Elementary School
- Medlock Bridge Elementary School
- New Prospect Elementary School
- Sweet Apple Elementary School
- Webb Bridge Middle School
- Chattahoochee High School
- Abbotts Hill Elementary School
- Cogburn Woods Elementary School
- Fulton Sunshine Academy
- Ocee Elementary School
- Crabapple Middle School
- Hopewell Middle School
- Taylor Road Middle School
- Alpharetta High School
- Fulton Science Academy High School
Greatest Gains Category:
- Elkins Pointe Middle School
- Gullatt Elementary School
- Seaborn Lee Elementary School
- Hapeville Charter Middle School
Schools in the Greatest Gains category showed the greatest improvement in scores on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT) or the Georgia High School Graduation Tests (GHSGT). Those in the Highest Performance category demonstrated the highest achievement on the CRCT or GHSGT. Awards are granted in four levels: Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.
The awards announcement coincides with the release of the Governor’s Office of Student Achievement’s 2010-11 Report Card. The report card, which includes Fulton County Schools data, provides an online resource of student achievement, personnel and fiscal data for each school and school system in the state, as well as preschool, higher education and teacher certification information.