Over one hundred guests sampled the traditional southern staple and voted for their favorites during the first-ever Roswell Root's Cornbread Cook-Off. But in the end, the Oak Street Café "Joe’s Raging Cornbread" was named the people's choice and honored with the "Skillet Award."
The event, held Feb. 25 at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church Community Center, brought out seven contenders including:
- Oak Street Café - Joe’s Raging Cornbread
- The Fickle Pickle -Sour Cream Cornbread with Pepper Jelly
- Table & Main - Bacon & Chive Cornbread with Sorghum Butter
- Shauna Carmichael - Caramelized Rosemary Cornbread
- Mary Mobley - Spinach Cornbread
- Janet Russell - African Chile Cornbread
- Betty Strickland - Cracklin’ Cornbread.
Susan Puckett, a former food columnist for the AJC, judged the event and determined the winners for both categories:
1st place The Fickle Pickle 1st place Betty Strickland
2nd place Table & Main 2nd place Janet Russell
3rd place Oak Street Café 3rd place Mary Mobley
4th place Shauna Carmichael