, which officially begins today.
Following up on today's , Roswell Patch continues our Ramble coverage with Day 2 of The Georgia Trust's Spring Ramble itinerary this weekend.
To check out all the different Ramble package options, visit The Georgia Trust website. Purchase Walk-up Tour Only tickets at the today, Friday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and at on Saturday 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Saturday Ramble: Roswell Square Area; 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Great Oaks, Home of Linda Lively and James Hugh, 786 Mimosa Boulevard (Built in 1842) Open until 3:30 p.m.
Built by Reverend Nathaniel Pratt, one of Roswell’s founders and the founding minister of the , Great Oaks was the manor house of a plantation that produced sorghum, corn, and wheat. The home was originally to be built of lumber, but the wood was destroyed by fi re, the Reverend resorted to 18-inch thick walls of bricks made from Georgia clay. During the Union occupation of Roswell, the gardens at Great Oaks served as the headquarters for Garrard’s cavalry. The The house features an unusual divided “good morning” staircase, which has four separate flights
of stairs leading from a common landing located between the first and second floors.
, Historic Santuary, 755 Mimosa Boulevard (Built in 1840)
Roswell Presbyterian Church was built by renowned architect and master builder Willis Ball from Windsor, Connecticut. The sanctuary seated 200 with a gallery for slaves. Designed in Greek Revival style with a wide Doriccolumned portico, pediment gables and perfectly balanced entrance façade, the church
reflected the dominant architecture of the new homes in the burgeoning antebellum village of Roswell. In 1864 the sanctuary served as a hospital for the Union troops then occupying Roswell.
Roswell Presbyterian Cemetery, 755 Mimosa Boulevard (Established in 1840)
Roswell Presbyterian Cemetery is the fi nal resting place for many individuals of the town’s founding families, including members of the King, Smith and Pratt families. A black wrought iron fence encloses the family plot of Barrington King, son of Roswell King.
Historic Roswell Square, 616 Atlanta Street (Built in 1839)
The Roswell Square was part of the original design for the city of Roswell. The King family planned a village with wide streets that led from the town’s square, called “the Park,” towards the main houses and the mill. During the Civil War, 400 local mill workers were charged with treason for contributing to the Confederate cause; they were held on the Square before being loaded on wagons by Union soldiers for deportation to the North. In 1905 President Theodore Roosevelt addressed a crowd of well-wishers from the bandstand.
, 793 Mimosa Boulevard (Built in 1934)
A site for education facilities since 1840, the current structure was built in 1934 as Roswell Public School and later as Roswell Elementary. The school was closed in the 1980s and reopened in 1991 as the Teaching Museum North, a part of Fulton County Schools. The museum primarily serves Kindergarten through twelfth-grade students with hands-on, experiential programs that support classroom learning. There are several replica rooms and historic exhibitions, and its original wooden floors, stage and other fi xtures evoke the structure’s legacy of learning.
Holly Hill, Home of Lewis and Nancy Gray, 632 Mimosa Boulevard (Built in 1847)
Holly Hill was built for Robert Adams Lewis, a prominent Savannah businessman. A raised cottage adapted to the Greek Revival style, it was constructed of Georgia pine and bricks handmade on the property. The house plan features a wide hall with two rooms on each side. The lower floor held the
original kitchen, dining room and two bedrooms. The top floor was simple, with one room on each side for storage and the children’s sleeping area. In the 1950s, the house was purchased by Robert Sommerville and his wife, Evelyn Hanna, who did extensive renovation and landscaping, planting the many hollies which gave Holly Hill its name.
The President's House, Home of Carolyn Whitmore, 659 Mimosa Boulevard (Built in 1908)
This home was built for S.Y. Stribling, President of the Roswell Manufacturing Company. Pierre Levy designed the house with Queen Anne style elements including an oval stained glass window. The residence was occupied for many years by the Stribling family and other Roswell Manufacturing Company executives, as well as J. H. Foster Sr., President of the Roswell Bank. Beautiful gardens surround this lovely home.
Mimosa Hall, 127 Bulloch Avenue (Built in 1840) Garden Tour Only
Mimosa Hall was built by John Dunwody. On the eve of its housewarming, the house burned to the ground. It was rebuilt by 1844 of brick covered with stucco and scored to resemble stone; it was renamed Phoenix Hall for the mythical bird that rose from the ashes. Famed Atlanta architect Neel Reid purchased the home in 1916 for his residence and renovated the house and gardens. Reid was living in the house when he died from brain cancer in 1926.
Bulloch Hall, 180 Bulloch Avenue (Built in 1839) Open to Ramble ticket holders from Friday 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Saturday noon-5 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m.-3 p.m.
Bulloch Hall was built by Major James Stephens Bulloch, one of Roswell’s first settlers and grandson of Governor Archibald Bulloch, and his wife Martha Stewart Elliott Bulloch, daughter of General Daniel Stewart. The dining room of Bulloch Hall was the setting of the 1853 wedding of their youngest daughter, Mittie Bulloch, to Theodore Roosevelt (Sr.); their son Theodore became the 26th President of the United States. In October 1905 Theodore traveled through the South and came to Roswell to visit his mother’s childhood home. Mittie Bulloch Roosevelt’s other son, Elliott, was the father of Eleanor Roosevelt and father-in-law of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Eleanor visited Bulloch Hall in 1905 en route to Warm Springs, Georgia, one of the towns featured on the upcoming Fall Ramble, Oct. 12-14.
Barrington Hall, 535 Barrington Drive (Built in 1842) Open to Ramble ticket holders from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Friday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m.-3 p.m. on Sunday.
Barrington Hall was home to Barrington King, son of Roswell King. The Kings had moved to Roswell from the Georgia Coast in 1838 and the house has stayed in the Barrington King family since its completion. It was designed and built by Willis Ball, a master carpenter and architect from Connecticut who also designed the Roswell Presbyterian Church. Francis Minhinnett, an English landscape gardener and stonemason, designed the gardens and grounds. This Greek Revival mansion features fourteen fluted columns across the front and both sides of the house.