Pike Nurseries gets its Christmas trees straight from the mountains of North Carolina. In hopes of helping locals keep those pristine trees in their best condition throughout the holidays, their experts have a few tips:
Christmas Tree Care and Decoration Tips:
- Look for a healthy green color. Run your hand along the branch of a tree to check for needles that hold fast and are flexible – not stiff and brittle.
- Make a fresh cut along the bottom of the trunk. Prior to loading, Pike Nurseries does this for you for FREE to guarantee that the tree will absorb more water.
- Use a tree stand that holds at least one gallon of water. Keep a watchful eye and never let the water level drop below the bottom of the trunk, or the tree will not be able to absorb water.
- Keep away from direct heat sources to prevent drying and fire hazards. Practice safety around holiday favorites such as candles, fireplaces, wood stoves or heating vents.
- Add depth to your tree. Go heavy on Christmas lights and zig-zag them from front to back as you work through each layer of branches. Another trick is to stagger ornaments at different depths on the branches.
- Choose a festival color pallet. For a professional looking tree, use a color pallet that includes two or three colors, and play with different shades of those colors.
- Fill in holes and bare spots. Play with sprigs of berries or silk flowers for added texture and color to create a fuller looking tree.