The Fulton County Fire and Rescue Department is urging residents to take safety precautions when heating their home. There are important factors to consider whether you are heating your home with a fireplace, a space heater or a wood stove.
- Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned regularly
- Keep the area around the hearth clear of debris, decorations and flammable materials
- Leave the glass fireplace doors open while you are burning a fire. Close the doors when the fire is out.
- Always use a mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have glass doors.
- Do not use excessive amounts of paper when lighting a fire.
- Avoid using liquid fire starter or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Stack firewood at least 30 feet from your home.
- Keep the roof clear of leaves and debris.
- Remove branches hanging above the chimney, flues or vents.
- Only use space heaters that will turn off automatically if they fall over.
- Avoid storing objects on top of space heaters
- Keep combustible materials at least three feet away from space heaters.
- Always unplug space heaters when not in use.
- Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures.
- Keep air inlets on wood stoves open.
- Use fire resistant materials around wood stoves.
The Fulton County Fire and Rescue Department encourages residents to install a smoke detector on each level of their home and outside sleeping areas. Residents are encouraged to test their smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries every six months.