Beat the heat with this delicious cold rice dish: disguised as a dessert, but does double duty as a delicious side and dessert. It takes advantage of the summer fruits widely available in the market and satisfies the sweet tooth too. Enjoy!!
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cups plain Greek yogurt (non flavored)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 jalapeno, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. coriander leaves, chopped finely
- ¼ tsp. Ginger, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- Salt according to taste
- 1/2 cup cubed pieces of sweet mango
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- Cook the rice as per directions and allow it to cool completely. Spread it in a larger pan in a way that the steam evaporates quickly. Set aside.
- In a separate small saucepan, warm a little ghee. When it heats up, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, ginger and sauté until it sizzles. Turn off after the mustard seeds have cracked. Allow it to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt to smooth. Add the chopped cilantro to this mixture and then pour in into the saucepan of tempered ghee. Salt this mixture to taste. Take care to ensure the ghee is not warm, or the yogurt will break down. Mix well.
- Add the cubed sweet mango bits into this mixture to ensure the fruit is well coated with the yogurt. Add a little water if required to make it to the consistency of a thick shake.
- Pour this mixture over the rice in the pan. Lightly mix in so that the yogurt seeps through and reaches the bottom of the pan. Work carefully to not break the grain.
- Cover with cling warp and cool for 1 or more hours in a refrigerator. Enjoy chilled.