The will celebrate 75 years of service in 2012 and would like to invite the residents and businesses of Roswell to an anniversary celebration in August.
The event will also feature the grand re-opening of the Roswell Fire Museum.
Roswell Fire was established in 1937 by a group of Roswell businessmen who saw the need for some type of fire protection for the city of Roswell. Since 1937, Roswell Fire has had eight fire chief’s. Roswell Fire currently employs 145 full and part time employees.
Other interesting facts about the Roswell Fire Department history:
- The first fire station was located on Elizabeth Way.
- The first Fire Chief was C.W. Hughes who served as Chief from 1937-1944.
- The City of Roswell purchased its first new fire truck in 1947. It was a 1947 Ford American La France Pumper. The 1947 Ford is still a functional Fire Apparatus today, but is used for parades and most recently to deliver Fire Chief Aubrey Reeves to his final resting place. It is located in the Roswell Fire Museum.
- Roswell Fire was a predominately Volunteer Department up until about 1985.
The public is invited to attend this anniversary celebration, Aug. 11 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Fire Station #1, 1002 Alpharetta Street.