Beginning July 1, 2012, the Georgia Department of Driver Services will require additional documentation when applying for or renewing your driver's license or applying for an ID card.
It's all part of a national security plan to improve the security of Georgia's DL and ID cards and to be fully compliant with the Federal Real ID Act of 2005.
"We all had to go through this process when we first applied for a driver's license," said Susan Sports, communications director for the DDS. Providing the required documents will only be necessary this one time she said.
The only visible difference from the current DL/ID is that a gold star will be printed on the top right corner of the Secure DL and IDs. The new licensing process also is aimed at provding additional protection from identity theft.
According to the Georgia DDS website before getting your driver's license renewed, here's what you'll need to do:
- You must visit a Customer Service Center in person on your first renewal, reinstatement or first issuance beginning July 1, 2012;
- You must provide an original or certified copy of your Birth Certificate or other proof of identity, and proof U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the United States;
- You must provide your Social Security Card or other proof of full SSN. Previously, DDS was allowed to simply ask you for your SSN; and
- You must provide two different proofs of your residential address. Previously, DDS only required one proof of your residential address for your 1st DL or ID card.
- Additional documentation to verify lawful presence in the United States may be required if you are a non-citizen.
- Additional documentation may be required if you have had a legal name change