There's just something about the 4th of July that calls for good food to go along with celebrating our nation's freedom. So pick up an extra carton of strawberries, fire up the grill and get into the kitchen to prep early so you can enjoy the day!
We've compiled a few popular 4th of July recipes from around the Web. Check them out and then share your own favorite summer holiday recipe in the comments below!
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- Leaf lettuce, Colby cheese slices, tomato slices, ketchup, prepared mustard and Fried Onion Rings or french-fried onions, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onion, salad dressing and eggs. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on rolls with lettuce, cheese, tomato, ketchup, mustard and Fried Onion Rings if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain, cool and cut into cubes.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped potatoes and eggs. Mix together mayonnaise, chopped onion, green onion, green pepper, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Yield 12 servings.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 pounds baby back pork ribs (8 racks) or St. Louis-style spareribs (4 racks)
- Low-salt chicken broth (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought or homemade barbecue sauce plus more
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Place each rack of ribs on a double layer of foil; sprinkle rub all over ribs. Wrap racks individually and divide between 2 baking sheets.
- Bake ribs until very tender but not falling apart, about 2 hours for baby backs and 3 hours for spareribs. Carefully unwrap ribs; pour any juices from foil into a 4-cup heatproof measuring cup; reserve juices. Let ribs cool completely. DO AHEAD: Ribs can be baked up to 3 days ahead (the flavor will be more developed, and the cold ribs will hold together better on the grill as they heat through). Cover and chill juices. Rewrap ribs in foil and chill.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Add broth or water to rib juices, if needed, to measure 1 1/2 cups. Whisk in barbecue sauce to blend.
- Grill ribs, basting with barbecue sauce mixture and turning frequently, until lacquered and charred in places and heated through, 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut between ribs to separate. Transfer to a platter and serve with additional barbecue sauce. Yields 8 servings.
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought ok)
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups fresh strawberries
- Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
- Slice cake into 3/4-inch slices. Then brush over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
- Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 qt. size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the blueberries and strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.
The RecipeGirl.com blog also serves up some other tasty recipes: Vanilla- Berry Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches by YumSugar, Grilled Chicken with Red and Blueberry Salsa by All Through the Year Cheer and Red, White and Blueberry Cheesecake Bars by RecipeGirl.