The week-long Food Drive is in its second day, as the business organization works to stock the shelves of a local food pantry.
Everybody thinks of those struggling to survive the weak economy with no jobs or low-income positions during the cooler winter months near the holidays. But during the summer, it's easy to forget the need. "Their need grows during the summer months as children are home from school," the chamber's release on the food drive said.
School children receive reduced cost or free breakfast and lunch during the school year, but not in the summer.
The chamber's food drive helps stock the shelves of , which in turn provides food to a growing number of individuals who struggle each day to feed their families.
The chamber is accepting donations at its offices in Alpharetta, and at other locations throughout North Fulton, including several in Roswell:
- - 30 E. Crossville Road, Ste. 120, Roswell
- Render Ad Service - 111 Hill Street, Roswell
- - 617 Atlanta Street, Roswell
- Verizon Wireless Communications – 295 Rucker Road, #140, Roswell
- Crabapple Car Care – 12265 Crabapple Road, Suite B (located in Citgo Bldg but not affiliated) Roswell
The final drop off date will be Friday, July 13, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the chamber offices.
But a day earlier, on Thursday, there will be time for fun when you make a donation. The chamber is sponsoring a Summer Jam with food and music on July 12 from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. at its offices. The only cost is to bring a food donation with you. Bring business cards for a chance at door prizes also.
Do not donate anything in glass jars or bottles. Stick to plastic, cans, boxes and bags.
The greatest needs are:
- Tuna and canned meats (Spam, etc.),
- Peanut butter and jelly,
- Canned vegetables, canned fruits, soup,
Tomato products, pasta, spaghetti sauce,
- Dry beans - 1lb. bags, pinto, black, kidney,
- Bagged rice (1 lb.),
- Canned meals (Spaghetti O's, ravioli, beef stew, etc.),
- Ramen Noodles,
- Cereal and oatmeal,
- Canned juices,
- Toiletries and diapers (size 4,5,6, Pull-ups).