Thursday, May 16, 2013
The Kendrick Center for Life Impact was damaged when a small welding fire started in the roof.
Milton and Alpharetta firefighters remain at King's Ridge Christian School this afternoon, trying to extinguish what appears to be an accidental fire in one of two new buildings under construction. The fire started in the roof of the Kendrick Center for Life Impact, a 4,000-square-foot building located next to the new high school building. The call came in to the Alpharetta 911 Dispatch Center at 10:18 a.m., when a construction worker called to report the roof fire. Alpharetta and Milton firefighters responded and were on scene within minutes. When the fire crews arrived, "they observed heavy smoke and flames originating from a structure at the top of the roof and they began to battle the blaze," said George Gordon, spokesman for the …
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Marquis Trace Apartments was hit by thieves after a fire last week.
- On WSBTV
Thursday, February 21
Monday, December 3, 2012
Holiday decorations can pose a safety hazard, so be careful with Christmas trees, candles and other decorations.
Fresh-cut Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations create a festive atmosphere during the holiday season. But many holiday decorations also pose safety hazards. “Decorating for the holidays is a treasured tradition for many of us,” said Mike Gillerlane, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “But it’s important to keep safety in mind, especially when dealing with fresh trees, candles and other combustibles.” More than 130 people die each year as a result of fires caused by Christmas trees or candles, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Those fires also result in more than $375 million worth of property damage a year, according to the CPSC study from 2006 to 2008. “A well-watered tree, …
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Fulton County Fire Department and the Compliance and Safety website each offer several tips for staying safe this holiday.
- POLICE & FIRE
Thursday, November 22, 2012
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), an estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings are reported to the U.S. Fire Administration’s National departments each year and cause an estimated average of five deaths, 25 injuries and $21 million in property loss. Smaller, confined fires account for 71 percent of Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings. "Too often we see where citizens make the critical mistake of thinking they can put out a fire on their own," warns Fulton County Fire Chief Larry Few. "Don't risk your safety, leave the fire-fighting to those who have been trained for it." Cooking is the leading cause of all Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings. American fire departments respond to…
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
The ban is due to weather conditions, which are perfect for wildfire spreading.
The Roswell Fire Department has banned all outdoor burning on today, Wednesday, Oct. 31, due to problematic weather conditions. "This includes all recreational and cooking fires that are allowed under the city ordinance," Paul Piccirilli, Roswell Fire's deputy chief and fire marshal, wrote in an e-mail. According to Piccirilli, the blustery and dry weather makes outdoor buring a major fire hazard. "The safety of the community is our priority," he wrote.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
This year's Roswell Women's Club Showcase Home belongs to Mark Wohlers, former Braves pitcher, whose house burned to the ground in a March 2011 fire.
When the Wohlers' Milton home was destroyed by fire during early 2011, they could have never known it would be an opportunity to give back to the community. But after the Roswell Women's Club approached them to showcase their new built home in Six Hills as a way to raise money for local charities, they graciously said yes. The home is open Wednesday through Sunday until May 20. Tickets may be purchased online for $18, at the door for $20 or with unlimited access for $25. For more information, or to purchase tickets, visit the Women's Club home tour website.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Within a half hour Roswell emergency crews put out a tree fire caused by a blown transformer.
Some residents and commuters along Woodstock Road in Roswell got an unexpected fireworks show this morning at the Jones Road intersection where a transformer blew. According to Roswell Fire Department Spokesman Paul Piccirilli and Roswell Police Spokeswoman Lisa Holland, the transformer explosion - which occurred around 7 a.m. - caught a nearby tree on fire. However, emergency crews quickly doused the flames and the scene was cleared by 7:30 a.m.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
A fire at Raintree Apartments trapped two families.
Saturday, December 17, 2011
We asked, Roswell Patch readers answered. Monday we asked you how you would improve local safety. Here's a sampling of your responses.
From the ambitious to the readily achievable, from upscale aspirations to the socially conscious, Roswell residents always offer some interesting and sometimes controversial ideas. Here's what you said in response to this week's Community Agenda survey. In general, do you feel safe living in Roswell? What kinds of interaction have you had with local law enforcement? Where, if any, do you feel there are areas for safety improvement in Roswell? Do you have any ideas for local programs that would enhance city safety? Do you agree or disagree with these answers? Have more to say? Tell us in the comments below!
Monday, October 24, 2011
Concepts 21 apartment complex caught fire Monday afternoon.
UPDATED: Oct. 24, 8:02 p.m. - Roswell Fire Department Chief Ricky Spencer says it will be several days before the city can tell exactly what started the fire at Concepts 21, which burned four units and destroyed four others. In total, eight units in building 64 at the apartment complex - located on Holcomb Bridge Road, just off exit 7 on Ga. 400 - were destroyed: four from fire damage and four more from water damage. "Upon arrival we had heavy fire and smoke showing from the roof area," Spencer told Roswell Patch Wednesday evening. "Fire crews went into an offensive mode of firefighting, while at the same time we made sure all occupants were removed from the building with the assistance of Roswell [Police Department]." Spencer said that …